Mark Monaghan – Executive Vice President Human Resources
With the holiday season being a time of giving, I thought I would share with everyone some holiday tips handed down to me by our company’s health insurance provider. I realize that not all of these tips will apply to everyone. But I hope that each and every one of you can gain something from them and have a healthy and happy holiday season.
Many holiday traditions, whether at home, with friends or at the work place, revolve around food. With that in mind, the most practical tip of all is to not attempt to lose weight during the holidays. Since most people gain weight during the holiday season, you will do well to maintain your weight.
Here are just a few additional tips for getting through this holiday season without overindulging.
When attending dinner parties:
- Never go to a party hungry. Eat a low-fat snack before you go.
- Be easy on the hors d’oeuvres tray when a full course meal will be served.
- Choose mostly fruits and vegetables and add some of your favorite foods as a treat.
- Don’t ignore your stomach. Stop eating when you are full.
- If you can, skip dessert or share it with your date.
- Limit your calorie consumption from alcohol. Choose diet sodas, club sodas or water.
-When socializing, move away from the buffet table.
When cooking and preparing holiday foods:
- Choose lower fat meats like turkey breast, lean ham and filets.
- Use skim milk and low-fat cheeses and flavor with lots of herbs and spices.
- Test low-fat versions of recipes a few days before to be sure they taste good.
We at JK Harris hope these tips will help you and yours have a safe, happy, and healthy holiday season.
Mark Monaghan is the Executive Vice President of Human Resources. He has distinguished himself in various capacities with JK Harris and Company, including EVP of Tax Resolution and Call Center Operations, EVP of Call Center Operations and Marketing, and VP of Human Resources.